Coconut Grove Elementary School is historically and architecturally significant. As well as an educational institution, it has been an integral part of the social and cultural life of the community. The school building, design by H. H. Munday, a notable local architect, has been in continuous use longer than any other school building in Miami-Dade County, according to all available sources. Its origins go back to the days before the incorporation of Miami.
The first public school in present day Miami-Dade County, a small wooden structure, was founded in Coconut Grove in 1887 with eleven pupils. This structure was later removed from the site and retained. The present building, as well the original school built in 1887, are within the Beasley homestead. Coconut Grove, Miami’s first community, was settled on the land that was homestead by Edmund Beasley in 1868. Both sites are within two city blocks of each other.
On September 29, 1911, the cornerstone of the first section of the present building was laid. Frank B. Stoneman, editor of the Miami Herald and father of Marjorie Stoneman Douglas, delivered the dedication address. Classes in the new building started during the first week of October of 1911.
Today, we are proud to be an “A” school in the heart of Coconut Grove, Florida. Coconut Grove Elementary is a school of academic excellence that offers an International Studies Program in French for Kindergarten through fifth grade students and an Extended Foreign Language (EFL) Program in Spanish. We serve children from Pre-Kindergarten through fifth grade.
Our instructional professionals and staff foster educational excellence by providing all students with a high quality education while fostering a safe and nurturing environment for our students and school-community.
Coconut Grove Elementary School is dedicated to preparing students to become successful, contributing members of our ever-changing and increasingly competitive society.